Mary Anne Bobinski
Dean and Professor
B.A. State Univ. of New York at Buffalo 1982; J.D. State
Univ. of New York at Buffalo 1987; LL.M. Harvard Law School
1989; Ph.D. coursework in Policy Studies, State University
of New York at Buffalo (1983-87).
Office Location: Allard Hall, room 263
ProfileMary Anne Bobinski has served as Dean and Professor of the University of British Columbia's Faculty of Law since 2003. She previously served as the John and Rebecca Moores Professor of Law and Director of the Health Law and Policy Institute at the University of Houston Law Center in the United States. Professor Bobinski's research and teaching interests include Torts, health law, health care finance and bioethics, legal aspects of HIV infection, and reproductive health law issues. She is a co-author of two leading law school casebooks in the United States, Health Care Law & Ethics and AIDS Policy and Law; the co-author/co-editor of a two volume set on medical ethics; and has authored a number of law review articles and book chapters on health law topics. Bobinski has participated extensively in academic and professional service activities and now serves as a member of the Canadian Public Health Officer's Ethics Advisory Committee. She is a frequent presenter to academic and other groups in the U.S. and Canada on topics ranging from health care finance to public health care law and ethics.
- Health Law
- HIV Law & Policy
- Reproductive Law & Policy
- Comparative Health Law
Representative Published Works
BOOKS (co-edited and co-authored)
- Health Care Law and Ethics (7th ed., plus Teachers' Manual, with Mark Hall, and David Orentlicher)(Aspen Publishing 2007).
- Health Care Law and Ethics (6th ed., plus Teachers' Manual, with Mark Hall, and David Orentlicher)(Aspen Publishing 2003).
- HIV Law & Policy (plus Teachers' Manual) (with William Adams, Michael Closen, Robert Jarvis, and Arthur Leonard) (Carolina Academic Press 2002).
- Medical Ethics: Analysis of the Issues Raised by the Codes, Opinions, and Statements (coeditor and coauthor, with Mark Rothstein, Baruch Brody, and Lawrence McCullough)(BNA Press, Volume 2) (2001)
- Medical Ethics: Codes, Opinions, and Statements (coeditor and coauthor, with Mark Rothstein, Baruch Brody, and Lawrence McCullough)(BNA Press, Volume 1)(2000)
- Health Care Law and Ethics (5th ed., plus Teachers' Manual, with Mark Hall, and David Orentlicher)(Aspen Publishing 1998).
- AIDS: Cases and Materials (coauthor, with Closen, Hermann, Isaacman, Jarvis, Leonard, Rivera, Schultz and Wojcik of 2d Ed. Casebook and Teachers' Manual) (John Marshall Press 1995).
ARTICLES and BOOK CHAPTERS
- Legal Issues in Hospital Infection Control, in Hospital Epidemiology and Infection Control (C. Glenn Mayhall, ed.)(Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins; revised 4th ed. forthcoming 2010; 3rd ed. 2004; 2nd edition 1999; 1st edition, 1995).
- Healthcare Associated Hepatitis B & C Viruses: Legal Aspects, 14 Clinics in Liver Diseases 105-117 (2010).
- The Health Insurance Debate in Canada: Lessons for the U.S.?, 14 Connecticut Insurance Law J. 341-75 (2007/08) (published 2009).
- HIV and Public Health, Public Health Law & Policy in Canada (Tracy M. Bailey, Timothy Caulfield, & Nola Reis, eds. 2005 and substantial revision for 2008 edition).
- Health Disparities and the Law: Wrongs in Search of a Right, 29 Amer. J. L. & Med. 363 (2003).
- Women, Poverty, Access to Health Care, and the Perils of Symbolic Reform, 5 J. Gender Race & Justice 233 (2002)(with Phyllis Griffin Epps).
- Genetic Information, Legal, ERISA Preemption, and HIPAA Protection, in The Encyclopedia of Ethical, Legal, and Policy Issues in Biotechnology (Thomas H. Murray, et al., editors, John Wiley & Sons) (2000).
- Patients and Providers in the Courts: Fractures in the Americans with Disabilities Act, 61 Albany L. Rev. 785 (1998)(invited contribution to symposium issue).
- Genetics and Reproductive Decision Making, in The Human Genome Project and the Future of Health Care (Thomas H. Murray, Mark Rothstein, and Robert F. Murray, Jr., eds.)(Indiana University Press 1996).
- Autonomy and Privacy: Protecting Patients from Their Physicians, 51 U. Pitt. L. Rev. 291-388 (1994).
- Women and HIV: A Gender-Based Analysis of a Disease and Its Legal Regulation, 3 Texas J. Women & the Law 7-56 (1994) (invited symposium article).
- HIV Testing and Confidentiality, in Liability of State and Local Governments Based on AIDS Related Issues 7-43 (Brenda Strama, ed.)(Chicago: American Bar Association Press, 1993) (book chapter, with William LeMaistre).
- Risk and Rationality: The Centers for Disease Control and the Regulation of HIV-Infected Health Care Workers, 36 St. Louis U. L. J. 213-307 (1992).
- Unhealthy Federalism: Barriers to Increasing Health Care Access for the Uninsured, 24 University of California (Davis) L. Rev. 255-348 (1990).
Publications listed on the UBC Law Library Faculty Research Publications Database